West Newbury, like so many other towns in Massachusetts has its origins deep in colonial history. The history of West Newbury goes back as early as the 1600’s. It includes a shared history with the neighboring towns of Newbury, Newburyport, and Plum Island. West Newbury and these towns once made up the whole community of Newbury MA.
Puritans settled the area of what is now West Newbury. They built a church and allocated parcels of various sizes for agricultural use. The size of a lot was allocated based on each settlers contribution to the community. As West Newbury gained form and character, a section of development appeared called “Upper Commons”. It was given to freeholders for pasture land and wood lots. Later, a road was built running between the Artichoke River and the Bradford Line. Following, Upper Commons became divided into smaller parcels. These were assigned by lottery. Each parcel was aligned on either side of the road. The road is still in place today as Main Street. Owners of the parcels had to fence their property at the time. Some of their stone fences are still seen in West Newbury.
A Closer Look at the History of West Newbury
The history of West Newbury continued with adoption as a separate town from Newbury in the early 1800’s. At that time, it was given the name, Parsons. A short time later, it was renamed. Today, it appears as a beautiful bedroom community with roots in agricultural and equestrian interests.
From its first settlers and first churches erected, such as one on Pipestave Hill in 1710, the town has grown into much more than an agricultural center. It has grown out of reliance on the many resources of the Merrimack River and Merrimack Valley, into an upscale residential enclave. People who want to live near Boston, Newburyport and the Merrimack River, without the hustle and bustle need to look no further. West Newbury real estate offers some of the best home choices in Massachusetts.
Find Community Features and Homes Emboding the Rich Histor of West Newbury
One of the churches built in the 1700’s still stands in West Newbury MA. It sits on the corner of Main Street and Way to the River. Although, the church’s purpose has changed. It was converted into a home and serves as another fine example of quality of life, West Newbury homes, and close-knit community, with a historic accent.
Find out more about West Newbury’s history. Get details on the small town, with countryside charm and dreamy, luxury homes. Browse, www.WestNewbury.com. Get connected with an area expert for more info.